AEE - Institute for Sustainable Technologies (AEE INTEC) is a non-university research institute founded in 1988. AEE INTEC currently employs around 70 scientists from eleven nations and continuously awards dissertations, master's theses and internships. AEE INTEC works in the fields of "Buildings", "Cities and Networks", "Technology Development" and "Industrial Systems" on fundamental and application-oriented research in national and international R&D projects in cooperation with universities, colleges, other research institutions and industry.
In the research project "S/E/P - spatial energy planning for energy transition" a strongly interdisciplinary consortium from Salzburg, Styria and Vienna is working on the development and provision of spatial data for spatial heat and energy planning purposes.
Scope of the Master Thesis
The master thesis deals with zoning of areas applicable for innovative (4th / 5th generation) district heating and cooling networks. The scope of the work includes literature research, methodology development, GIS implementation in a prototype environment as well as evaluation / validation of results for a designated study area. Comprehensive spatial data bases from the project S/E/P may be provided as well as an existing zoning approach for conventional district heating.
Research topics and questions:
- State of research and science in zoning of 4th and 5th generation heating/cooling networks
- Elaboration of (spatial) parameters required for zoning of innovative heating and cooling networks
- Development of a spatial modelling approach for zoning considering A) the existing building stock and B) changing future conditions (demolition, new construction, renovation of buildings; changing climates)
- Specification of requirements, methodology and data concept
- GIS-implementation (e.g., using Python, SQL, QGIS Graphical Modeler) and visualizations for a study area
- Evaluation and discussion of the results
What we do expect…
- Ongoing master studies in geoinformatics / computer science / spatial planning / technical studies related to heat / energy planning
- Experience with GIS software and coding (e.g., ArcGIS, QGIS, spatial databases, Python)
- Affinity for programming / application development (especially with Python)
- Interest in energy technologies and climate protection
- Creative, accurate, independent and solution-oriented working style
- Very good knowledge of German and/or English, both written and spoken
What we can offer…
- Paid Master's thesis with close integration into an ongoing research project
- Supervision by experienced staff, competent technical support
- Time frame: Start by arrangement (as of now), duration about 6-9 months
Kontakt für inhaltliche Fragen und Bewerbungen an